Now that the excitement of Christmas and the New Year has officially worn off, I think it’s safe to say that we’re all in need of this upcoming Family Day long weekend. Since Family Day is all about celebrating your family and loved ones, here’s a list of indoor and outdoor kid friendly activities you can do in Burlington and Oakville this Family Day, February 16th, 2015.
1. Go ice skating! Here’s a few locations for some free ice skating in the community:
- Skate in the Square, Towne Square Downtown Oakville. Enjoy music, entertainment, treats and free ice skating between 1-3pm. BYOS (bring your own skates).
- Bronte Creek Provincial Park, skate rentals $5 per hour at the Park Store. Ice skating between 9:30am – 9:30pm. The park is hosting an entire Family Day event with other activities including tobogganing and a campfire, so why not make a day of it?
- Spencer Smith Park, Burlington, 10am – 10pm, FREE skate rentals courtesy of Corbett’s Sports.
2. Got a chocoholic in the family? Check out Downtown Burlington’s Chocolate Trail and follow the self-guided trail map to visit chocolatiers, a chocolate spa and a cupcake shop. Click here to visit the website and download the map.
3. Visit Mountsberg Conservation Area for their Tales by a Winter’s Fire program and enjoy horse-drawn sleigh rides, hot chocolate, marshmallows and story telling around a campfire. February 14 – 16, 2015, 10am to 4pm.
4. Check out the Joseph Brant Museum in Burlington for fun indoor and outdoor activities including games, competitions, movies, snacks and hot chocolate. February 16, 2015 11am – 4pm, $10 per family.
5. Animal lovers will be fascinated by the unique and colourful frogs on display at the RBG Centre’s Frogs: A Chorus of Colours exhibition, between 9am-5pm. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the exhibit and then go for a special Family Day buffet on February 16th, 2015 at the RBG, between 11am – 3pm. General admission required and make sure to book a reservation for lunch. Click here to visit the website and buy your tickets online.
6. Snowshoeing at Crawford Lake is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the beauty of winter. Rent snowshoes for $12 and take the Woodland Trail or Wildlife Walkway if you’ve got kids. They’re the shortest trails in the park and take approximately 45 minutes to complete. General admission required, park gates open between 8:30am – 7pm daily.
7. Wanna get active? The Iroquois Ridge Community Centre is offering LOTS of family activities, from soccer and zumba to dodgeball and tai chi. Each class is half an hour, so spend a couple hours jumping from class to class. Click here to download the Oakville Family Day Brochure for a full list of activities and locations.
8. If you’re looking to get artsy, Crack Pot Studio in Downtown Oakville is offering 20% off when you drop in to paint on Family Day, between 12pm – 5pm. Paint a coffee cup and give it to your favourite family member (come on, don’t act like you don’t have a favourite!)
Now that you’ve got some ideas, get on out there and enjoy Family Day in our community. We’d love to hear about what you get up to, so tweet us or Instagram your photos using the #looklocal hashtag.