- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cored, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups celery, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, cored, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves, fresh
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, fresh or canned
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 lime, zested, juiced
Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven, add the turkey meat and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Make sure to break up meat by chopping and stirring with the side of a heavy kitchen spoon.
Add the onions, garlic, pepper, celery, jalapeño, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and all the spices. Stir to blend well. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes while stirring constantly to prevent burning.
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low for a slow simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the drained beans, corn, lime zest, lime juice and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, still stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, and serve with sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream and corn chips.
Visit Kerr Street Café
298 Kerr St, Oakville