This Vanilla & Strawberry Flan recipe is super quick and easy, but such a beautiful treat and the perfect summertime dessert!
• 2 quarts of local strawberries, hulled
• 1 pre-made pastry pie shell (or feel
free to make your own if you prefer)
For the vanilla pudding:
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 2 cups milk
• 2 large egg yolks (beaten)
• 2 tbsp butter, soft
• 2 tsp vanilla
1. Mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 2 litre saucepan, and slowly stir in the milk. Turn the heat to medium, mixing constantly until it is thick and comes to the boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
2. Gradually stir at least half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then stir back into the hot mixture in the
saucepan. Stir and boil for a minute, then remove from the heat. Now mix in the butter and vanilla.
3 Pour into a bowl, pressing clear food wrap onto the pudding, and chill for at least one hour.
Spoon the vanilla pudding into a baked pie or tart shell, spreading out evenly. Starting from the centre, place strawberries standing up in rows. Once filled with strawberries, slightly heated apricot or strawberry jam can be brushed across them as a glaze.
172 Lakeshore Road E (Downtown Oakville)